Opportunities for teachers to engage students in Numeracy and Math activities in an online environment will look different than that of a classroom. Below are some of the resources that will support this work.
Access to Mathology for Grades 1-2
A simple online tool containing rich math activities and teaching supports. Click here
- Search for high-quality lessons within Mathology
- Use the pre-created weekly and yearly plans
- Teach using Mathology Activity Cards and/or Mathology Little Books, as well as included digital assets and tools
- Access short, in-the-moment tips from Canadian math specialists
Math Makes Sense…eText
Pearson has released access to its eText series… over 70 digital learning resources. Access to the digital learning resources at www.pearsoncanada.ca/athome.
Which resources can you access? … Through Kivuto’s Texidium platform and eReader, families can access digital versions of over 70 curriculum-based elementary and secondary textbooks. These resources cover curriculum areas, including literacy, math, science, French as a second language, and social studies.
How long will the resources be available? … We’ll provide open access to these resources until May 25, 2020. With this support, your family now has access to the same high quality, trusted resources that are used in classrooms across Canada every day to support student learning.
Nelson Math Resources
As a valued Nelson customer, you have access to all your digital resources by visiting mynelson.com. As things evolve in the coming weeks, we will continue to work to provide solutions. To support this, Nelson has created a Resource Support Centre which will be updated regularly with best practices and relevant information.
At Nelson, we strive to create a safe and healthy environment for our employees and the communities we serve. During these times of uncertainty, the physical and mental wellbeing of students and educators is our top priority. If you’re interested in sharing your experiences, needs and insights, as things unfold in the coming weeks, we would love to hear from you.
Searchable Sites for Supports
- ATA Library K-3
- ATA Library 4-6
- Khan Academy (video support)
- Learn Alberta
- Math Antics (video support)
- Math is Fun (this site also contains formative questions)
- Math Learning Centre
- NRich (teacher homepage)
- Ontario Tech (Basic Math skills)
- Waterloo Math – Web Resources
More Learning Platforms and Sites
- Differentiated Math Lessons – https://www.tailor-ed.com/
- Favorite Math Sites – as curated by Alberta Math teachers and facilitators.
- GSuite Apps for Math – variety of examples.
- Leveled Math Resources – https://www.freckle.com/plans/
- Math Help – https://www.checkmath.eu/#features
- Prodigy – game-based math learning (grades 1-8).
- Rigour Maths – weekly numeracy newsletter, differentiated problems connected the real world issues.
- YouTube Channels – Numberphile, Math Mammoth, Mathantics, PatrickJMT or create your own as you have your own YouTube Channel in the GSuite for Edu platform.
- Google Jamboard chrome app – online collaborative whiteboard, can draw while sharing screen for students to see or use screencastify while you talk through a problem. Can even invite students to join and create extra pages. Tutorial video.
- Google Keep for Math – great EDU in 90 video and go to the to add drawing for different backgrounds (grid, dot, lined). Can save into Google Doc or share with others.
- Google Chrome Canvas – individual basic whiteboard, easily shared during GMeet sessions, can also bring in images to annotate over.
- PearDeck Google Slides add-on – pull PearDeck whiteboard slide into Google Slide deck via the “Add-ons” and have students respond to a particular question, student individual whiteboard, teacher sees all of them. Math Templates.
- Texthelp’s Equatio – chrome extension that allows you to type, write or speak math expressions. Also check out Equatio Mathspace.
- Whiteboard.fi – watch video, teacher creates whiteboard, students join and have their own individual whiteboards (only teacher sees them).
Fun with Math
- Card Games – that will turn your students into Math Aces.