In the book by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick, there is a girl who wonders whether she’ll be as tall as a house or the tree, whether she’ll wear sensible shoes and say sensible things.
Students: Read through these four questions and watch the video. Then take time to have a discussion with a partner about what the story was about as well as sharing your responses to the questions.
1. Do you think some of her beliefs about the future are possible, and some of them are impossible?
2. What is an example of something that seems impossible? What makes you think it is impossible?
3. Could it be possible? What would have to change to make it possible?
4. Do you think any of the things she imagines definitely will happen?
Teachers: How does this story affect how you create a “five star learning environment” for your students? What about yourself? Are there any beliefs about the future that you hold onto to turn the impossible into the possible?
1. Is there anything you know for sure about your future? How do you know it?