My professional growth plan for this school year isn’t that much of a departure from my previous year’s (see 2014-15), however I do feel that I have a more “leadership” type of focus that overarches my two goals this year. Whether it is modeling what kind of questions to ask of staff during walkabouts, or trying new apps, extensions or add-ons or even blogging/tweeting what is occurring in their school, this will be one of the facets of my work this year. (Our school division is part of the LTPF Leadership Community of Practice hosted by Alberta Ed and I have 4 Principals, 4 Teacher-Leaders and 2 IT personnel collaborating and learning together with 9 other provincial groups this year.) As well, the Learning Services team has undergone changes with new team members. So, my work may change a little or a lot depending upon how each team member requires support and how each school staff require professional development opportunities.
Be Creative is my theme for the year. As you can see in the image to the right, (created based on CrazySexyCool’s poster shop in Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa) I not only am holding myself accountable (see goals below), but I want to remind myself daily (the poster will be hanging on one of my office walls) to ENJOY the opportunities along the way.
These are exciting times and each day brings new learning opportunities.
Facilitate, cultivate and design learning environments that provide rich experiential learning and sharing opportunities connected to Parkland School Division’s (PSD’s) Vision, Mission and Inclusive Ed philosophy as well as Alberta Education’s Learning and Technology Policy Framework (LTPF).
- Acknowledge the diverse needs and contributions of all
- Offer physical spaces and PD to develop knowledge, skills and engage learners
- Create virtual spaces and connections both local, national and global
- Access resources, services, information and collaboration opportunities
- Hone academic, social/emotional and physical skills through knowledge-building, creativity and innovation
- Utilize a variety of resources, technologies and spaces to support learning for teachers leaders and students through thoughtful instructional design and collaboration as well as effective assessment of learning
- Model and share learning experiences to empower real-world and relevant learning experiences
- Learning Services Team
- Senior Exec
- Admin Teams
- Inclusive Education Leads
- LeadercastNow daily videos
- Frameworks: Fierce Conversations, Cognitive Coaching, Bucket Filling, Cooperative Learning, Critical Thinking, Universal Design for Learning
- Monthly meetings: Lead Team, LTPF Leadership Community of Practice, Inclusive Education Leads
- Biweekly: Learning Services Team
Indicators of Success
- Contribution to Learning Services work is recognized
- Learning Services Team work plan is moving PSD Vision, Mission and Commitment Statements forward as per Admin meetings, PSD Voice, Student Advisory Committee
- Learning Services Team incorporate the LTPF throughout their work with staff
Advance, model and assess the successful use of inclusive technologies to meet business goals, enhance team productivity, engage PSD staff, and remove barriers for students.
- Refine instruction for essential digital literacy, research and inquiry and communication skills
- Develop opportunities for staff learning and innovation to be demonstrated, shared and showcased
- Build staff capacity to ensure sustainability and attainment of PSD/School Ed Plan/Tech goals
- Advocate for the essential and effective uses of technology
- Refine and demonstrate strong digital literacy skills
- Explore and connect personalized learning while embracing the use of digital literacies and skills to empower independent learners
- Foster an active online networking culture
- Assist staff in taking ownership of their digital rights and responsibilities in building their digital skills
- Listservs: QIAT, ATLE, ORC
- Alberta Education, School Technology Branch
- ERLC Advisory Committees
- ATLE and ATLE ProLearn
- Frameworks: TPACK, SAMR, UDL, DI, RTI, SETT, LTPF
- Twitter feeds and weekly chats (#edchat, #atchat, #gafesummit, #edtech)
- PSD – IT Dept, Senior Exec, Lead Team, Learning Services, staff, students
- ATLE Conference – November 2015
Indicators of Success
- Staff utilizing, documenting success and sharing how they are using technology in learning, for efficiency, etc.
- Marked improvement between Fall 2014 and Fall 2015 ET/IT survey with Admin
- LTPF Leadership Community of Practice group is sharing their experiences not only with their staff but with colleagues.
- Well attended PD sessions and follow up work with staff