This week we have a variety of tips ranging from Google, media info, interactive chrome apps, and upcoming PD sessions (in and out of school division).
Google Apps for Education
- Grow your Google muscle by using your Synergyse training button! The short 1- 3 minute interactive videos in your Google Drive are always filled with up-to-date information and resources.
- Get to know your Google and how to get your friends to switch to GApps (5 mins)
Tech News from MediaSmarts
- Beyond gaming, the VR boom is everywhere—from classrooms to therapy couches – Creators all over the world are looking beyond entertainment to adapting head-mounted displays for everything from psychotherapy, special-needs education, and space exploration to virtual luxury car test drives, virtual travel, and even VR movies.
- Terror fight turns to Internet – The Canadian government says it’s looking for a way to stop terror groups and their followers from using the Internet to advance their cause as a debate emerges over how to fight threats to Canada while preserving civil liberties including free speech and privacy.
- Your Next Psychologist May Prescribe a Video Game – A game developed by gaming tech experts and health researchers at the Center for BrainHealth at the University of Texas at Dallas simulates everyday experiences and social situations that are typically difficult for those with autism or anxiety disorders. And it’s just one example in a growing trend in which video games are forms of therapy.
- Museums Morph Digitally – Museums are being redefined for a digital age. The transformation, museum officials say, promises to touch every aspect of what museums do, from how art and objects are presented and experienced to what is defined as art.
- Anti-spam law targets software starting January – Canada’s controversial anti-spam law has already forced businesses to change how they communicate with consumers by email. Early next year, the law will also start targeting software makers.
Tech Tips and Tools
- Throw Out those Clickers and Use Plickers – an iOS or Android app used by the teacher to scan pre-printed cards that students use to allow teachers to quickly assess or poll their students during learning activities.
- Journal Chrome App – writing app for journal writing.
- Great Apps to Connect to Your GDrive – IT Specialist Kyle Pace shares 8 chrome apps that would great in the Google Drive environment.
Discovery Education Tidbits
- The DE Streamathon was held on Oct 25. Watch the archived 30 minute sessions at http://www.discoveryeducation.com/streamathon/.
- DEN Trend Report – a recap of the week’s news.
- Dig into Mining – join a live webinar on Nov 13, as DE takes students behind the science of a working copper mine to meet with a local Geologist and Mining Engineer.
PD Opportunities – November
- ATLE (Alberta Teacher Leaders in Education) Convergence Conference Nov16-18 at Edmonton Expo Centre. Western Canada’s largest ET/IT conference. Great sessions, keynote speakers, vendors and networking. If you cannot make all three days, there is a Nov 17 one day pass.
- ERLC (Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium) is offering a variety of PD on literacy, numeracy, assessment, inclusion, GAFE, math, FNMI, PBA, Adobe.
- PSD’s pdCalendar with Cooperative Learning : Intermediate Series, NVCI – Autism Advanced Recertification, The Road to Multiplicative Thinking: grades 3-5 (Learning Services will pay the sub for one teacher per school site to attend), Physical Literacy in Every Classroom, Multiple Means of Action and Expression, EA Bootcamp: The Top 10+ List: OT/SLP Strategies to Support Student Success (AM and PM sessions), Read&Write for Google Intro.