An informal evening of learning, laughter and linking what is occurring in classroom environments occurred tonight. Hosted by Dean Shareski of Discovery Education Canada along with Tom and various DE colleagues, it was time to share, discuss and question how we are engaging students to learn deeply.
Some resources that were shared include:
- Carolyn Durley’s Flipped Classroom blog – http://flipperteach.com/
- What is Genius Hour? http://www.gallitzvi.com/2/post/2012/06/what-is-genius-hour.html
- Simon Ropert’s Role Playing Game (RPG) Physics Course: www.classjump.com/r/ropert
- Brett Barron & Mark Huculak’s exergaming activity. Transform Website: http://www.ecsd.net/landing/21st-century-learning.html and Global TV Video – http://globalnews.ca/video/999395/active-exergaming
- How students in early years used Discovery Education Canada’s Board Builder to create an interactive posters on the weather.
Whether it is speaking with colleagues or connecting on twitter, igniting learning in the classroom can occur anytime, anywhere and at any age. Another resource, Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning: Insights from a Neurologist and Classroom Teacher, may be of benefit.