This is the second part of five articles discussing the NETS*T from ISTE. We will be working through how we as educators can model the use of technology while simultaneously nurturing the student use of technology. It can be a scary situation however, there are opportunities for teachers to receive F2F PD, online PD….it just where and what to look for in the PD that is offered. In this article we’ll look at the second standard and work through each section giving some ideas and specific resources that one can use in their classroom.
Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences andAssessments
Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:
|a.||design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.|
|b.||develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.|
|c.||customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.|
|d.||provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.|
Let’s look at some of the online resources available to teachers and students:
Relevant learning experiences will be different for every grade level so I am pointing out sites that I am familiar with for teachers to view and choose for their specific situation. Tools for a) include:
- ePals has 200 countries and territories connecting with each other
- Global School Net engages K-12 students/teachers in project learning exchanges
- TakingITGlobal for Educators have a variety of social impact projects worldwide
- The Centre for Global Education has many videoconference opportunities
- VC with 2Learn hosts Point2Point collaborations, VC events, VC PD and cyberprojects
Some resources can be as simple as an online collaborative form for students to work on while not necessarily being in the same room or school but have the simultaneous discussions and/or reflections. Google Docs – spreadsheets and TitanPad offer this opportunity.
In order for students to pursue their individual curiosities and setting of goals, I have seen a few great e-portfolios using Google, Blogging with either WordPress or Edublogs. A wonderful resource person is Dr. Helen Barrett found at http://electronicportfolios.com/. Vision boards are an exciting way to have students visualize their goals, they can use Glogster EDU or even an online Vision Board.
Customization and personalization of learning really starts with a teacher understanding Differentiated Instruction. There are many books available on DI, but the few that I resonate with are:
- Differentiation From Planning to Practice grades 6-12 by Rick Wormeli
- The Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Needs of All Learners by Carol Ann Tomlinson
- Differentiated Instructional Strategies: One Size Doesn’t Fit All by Gayle H. Gregory
- How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms by Carol Ann Tomlinson
- Differentiation in Practice, Grades K-5 Tomlinson and Eidson
- Integrating DI and UbD: Connecting Content and Kids Tomlinson and McTighe
Providing students with multiple and varied assessments have teachers using tools like Smart Senteo response systems, Polleverywhere,SurveyMonkey, Voxopop (audiotalk discussion), Vocaroo (give a quick audio byte), Animoto (make a video), BigHugeLabs (use photos to show learning) and even Storybird (collaborative storytelling) which all offer different ways for students to demonstrate their learning and for teachers to inform their teaching.
Enjoy trying a few of this tools and resources!